Natural Gas Leaks:
If you detect a skunk or rotten egg smell near your furnace or hot water heater or anywhere in the home, follow the SaskEnergy safety protocol for gas leaks. To see full details of the SaskEnergy protocol go to https://saskenergy.com/safety/detectingaleak.asp.
Here are the basic steps if you detect a natural gas leak:
- Leave the home or area immediately upon detection of a leak (that means everyone).
- DO NOT use any electrical switches, appliances, telephones/cellphones, motor vehicles, any other sources of ignition such as lighters and matches. Additionally, do not attempt to close interior gas valves. Doing so may cause an ignition spark.
- Call SaskEnergy’s 24 hour emergency line from a safe place 1–888–700-0427 (i.e. from a neighbor’s home or your cellphone when you are in a safe area).
- DO NOT assume that the issue has already been reported that someone else will call.
- Do not re-enter the home until you have been given the all clear by trained personnel.
Gas Detectors: Want to ad a bit of piece of mind to your home and family.
- Install a combination Carbon Monoxide and Propane/Natural Gas detector/alarm unit. Many of these units plug directly into an AC wall outlet.
- These units are not smoke alarms.
- The installation of a detector is inexpensive insurance for the safety of you and your family.
- Also check if the SaskEnergy Gas Detector Rebate is still available at https://saskenergy.com/safety/detectingaleak.asp
BBQ – Grill Propane Leaks:
Gas Leak – No fire:
- Put out all smoking materials & other open flames
- Do not use your cellphone, light matches or operate electric switches
- Close the propane tank gas valve.
- If the leak doesn’t stop call the local fire department
- Check for the leak using soapy water (hand soap/water mixture).
Gas Leak – Results in a Fire
- Close the propane tank gas valve – only if it is safe do so.
- If not call the local fire department.
- If possible move the BBQ away from the homes structure a minimum of 10 ft or greater. Moving your BBQ away from the homes structure is a good practice whenever you start your BBQ. The vinyl siding on many homes has been melted by not following this common sense procedure.
- If your BBQ is located on a wooden, composite or combustible deck, remember that is fuel for the fire.
- If the propane tank is engulfed in flame – evacuate the area. There is the possibility that the tank may explode.
Caution – Safety Basics:
- Never utilize a grill indoors or in your garage.
- Never store propane tanks indoors or in your garage
- Doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, explosions and fires
Reference article for operating your Grill safely: https://fasny.com/news/learn-keep-propane-grill-exploding/
More information at https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/505-bbq-gas-leak-test-gas-grill-barbecue
For Sales or Service CALL Pro Service